Motor Vehicle Tag Renewals
Refer to the TAG RENEWAL DATES for deadlines to renew (license plates in Kansas expire based on the first letter of the last name of the first person on the title.)
You need to consider all of the following:
- Did you receive your courtesy renewal notice from the state?
- They are mailed to the last known address approximately 6 weeks prior to the renewal expiration date. If you did not receive your notice, or need to reprint it, you can do that online at the KS website.
- How can you pay the renewal fee, local property taxes and other fees?
- You're able to renew your tags online, by mail, or in person. Review the payment requirements, and additional information below to determine what is best for you.
Renewing your motor vehicle tags online is the easiest way to complete the annual requirement. Refer to the TAG RENEWAL DATES below for deadlines to renew. License plates in Kansas expire based on the first letter of the last name of the first person on the title.
In order to renew online, your renewal notice would have the required PIN issued from the state to access the online renewal system for each vehicle. If there is no PIN on your renewal notice, that motor vehicle is ineligible for online renewal.
NOTE: County Treasurers are unable to provide a PIN.
All of the following must be true, per state requirements:
- You must not have moved since you last renewed your vehicle
- The County shown on your renewal form must be correct
- YOUR VEHICLE IS:
- Currently registered in Kansas
- Insured by a participating insurance company
- Eligible to receive a PIN and PIN is shown on your renewal notice
You will need a debit or credit card to renew your tags online. There are additional fees associated with this option.
- Plate Number with zip code; or
- PIN with vehicle year
|Last name begins with||Tag expiration date|
|A||February 28, 29|
|C, D||April 30|
|E, F, G||May 31|
|H, I||June 30|
|J, K, L||July 31|
|M, N, O||August 31|
|P, Q, R||September 30|
|T, V, W||November 30|
|U, X, Y, Z||December 31|